The scone is a classic Scottish quick bread said to have been named after the Stone of Destiny (or Scone), where Scottish kings were once crowned. What’s more interesting is that they were originally griddle baked and made with oats. Yum.

This recipe pays homage to history by incorporating oats, but the scone is baked in a regular oven instead of a griddle. It’s also beautifully moist (almost cake-y), hearty, and very unlike the dry, sturdy versions of scones you typically see in stores.

If you don’t quite fancy blueberries, you can always substitute with blackberries, currants, or even cranberries. However, if using frozen fruits, avoid thawing them prior to folding them in. Thawing will add additional liquid into the batter. Instead, toss them in a very small amount of flour to prevent them from sinking into the batter.

Take note to work quickly with the dough. And DO NOT overwork it. Overworking the dough will result in a scone that is tough, and we certainly wouldn’t want that. These scones taste particularly amazing in the wee hours of the morning, after a few minutes in the toaster oven. For excellence, pair with a warm cup of coffee or tea.

Blueberry Oat Scones

• Prep Time:15-20 minutes
  • Cook Time:30 minutes
  • Total Time:45-50 minutes
  • Servings:12-15 scones

• 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1 1/4 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 11 tablespoon frozen unsalted butter
  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 3/4 cup half and half
  • 3/4 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 5 teaspoon demerara sugar
  • 3 tablespoon rolled oats
Photo by Suyi Leong

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare and measure out the ingredients into bowls. Mix the buttermilk, half and half, and vanilla extract together.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar into a large bowl.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Using the grater, grate the frozen butter into the dry mixture.

Using your fingers, massage the butter into the dry ingredients until you get pea-sized crumbs. It’s okay if there are butter pieces still visible in the mixture. This will result in a flaky and buttery scone.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Add the buttermilk, half and half, and vanilla extract mixture.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Mix quickly in the bowl. Add the oats and blueberries gently. Try to not crush them.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Pour out the dough mixture onto a clean sanitized surface and, using your fingers, carefully press the blueberries into the mounts of dough and form a circle.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Using a pizza-cutter, cut the circle into 12-15 parts.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the dough mixture on the sheet. Brush the tops of the scone with some milk. Garnish with the 3 tablespoons of oats and demerara sugar.

Photo by Suyi Leong

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops of the scones feel firm to touch. Serve warm with some butter and honey.

Photo by Suyi Leong