If you consider yourself to be an adventurous cook, it might be time to look past the chicken breast to other cuts of meat. Liver might get a bad reputation for being that weird meat your grandma cooks on your family vacations, but there are actually some great recipes for chicken liver.

This mousse is an impressive dish for any gathering and will help to ease your way into the unique flavor of liver. Finding liver is not actually as difficult as people think and is available at most butcher shops. Plus, liver is super cheap, so it’s a great way to feed friends fancy food on a budget.

Chicken Liver Mousse

• Prep Time:4 hours 15 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:4 hours 20 minutes
  • Servings:1 pint

• 1 lb. chicken livers
  • 1 shallot
  • 1 tablespoon thyme
  • 1 tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
  • 1 oz cognac or similar liquor
  • Salt and pepper
Photo by Benjamin Martin

Rinse the livers under water and pat dry with a paper towel. Remove any fat and season with a hefty pinch of salt and pepper.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Dice the shallot, zest the lemon, and remove the thyme leaves from the stem.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Sear the livers in a hot pan with a teaspoon of oil for 2 minutes. Add the shallot, lemon, and thyme. Cook the other sides for an additional 2 minutes, adding the cognac or similar liquor 30 seconds before the end.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Heat the cream in the microwave. Using a blender, food processor, or stick blender, blend the cream and liver mixture until smooth. Add the butter one cube at a time, blending after each cube.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Place the mousse in a container and cover it with plastic wrap so that the plastic is touching the mousse. Place in the refrigerator for 4 hours to set.

Photo by Benjamin Martin

Serve with crusty bread for an awesome addition to your next spread.

Photo by Benjamin Martin