Tired of waiting in that long In-N-Out drive thru? Now you can make your favorite fast food special right at home! There’s no surprise animal style fries rock everyone’s world, but you can only eat them in 6 states. So this recipe is a game changer. Don’t wait, make In-N-Out animal style fries in the comfort of your own home.

Homemade In-N-Out Animal Style Fries

• Prep Time:45 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:1 hour 5 minutes
  • Servings:4 servings

• 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 2 teaspoon butter
  • Kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons mayonaise
  • 1 tablespoon ketchup
  • 2 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
  • 4 slices deli-cut American Cheese
  • 2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch fries

Slice potatoes 1/4 inch then place in a bowl of cold water while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

GIF by Katie Elliott

Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add Onions and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to skillet. Reduce heat to medium low, and cook, tossing and stirring occasionally until onions are well browned, about 15 minutes. One onions begin to sizzle heavily and appear dry, add 1 tablespoon water to skillet and stir. Continue cooking until water evaporates and onions start sizzling. Repeat process, 3 times total.

GIF by Katie Elliott

To make the animal fry spread: Add mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, sugar, and vinegar to a small bowl and stir to combine.

GIF by Katie Elliott

Dry the potatoes. Heat oil to 365 degrees. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until the fries start turing a bit whiter. Remove with slotted spoon and do the next batch. To double fry, put the potatoes back in the hot oil after they’ve cooled and fry a second time for 2-3 minute, or until golden brown.

GIF by Katie Elliott

Place fries on a plate, cover with slices of American cheese., melted onions, and the animal style spread. Serve immediately.

GIF by Katie Elliott