Butternut Squash Alfredo
- Prep Time:10 minutes
- Cook Time:1 hour and 20 minutes
- Total Time:1 hour and 30 minutes
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound linguine or fettuccine
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup warmed low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoon pasta water, as needed
- 3 tablespoon milk or water, as needed
Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut the squash in half. Remove the seeds, roast if desired. Place the squash, cut sides up, on a baking pan and drizzle each half with olive oil. Bake for about 60 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
Scoop out the flesh and puree until smooth. Add a few tablespoons of milk or water if needed. Set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the unsalted butter. Whisk in flour and then slowly, pour in the warm milk. Whisk until the sauce starts to simmer rapidly and thicken a bit.
Reduce to low heat and whisk in butternut squash puree. Mix in the grated Parmesan. Add salt and pepper. Add a few tablespoons of pasta water if the sauce is too thick.
Pour butternut squash sauce over hot pasta. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan cheese and desired toppings (such as basil or roasted butternut squash seeds).