French toast or “pain perdu” as it’s known in France, is probably the best invention ever. As real french people (well one of us is), we felt the need to show you what was the best pain perdu of all time (and also the easiest).

We chose to do a “normal” recipe the old-fashioned way (à l’ancienne) for those of you that want to embrace the full french experience, along with a vegan alternative for the radical ones out there.

I know the words “vegan” and “french” are very difficult to imagine together, but Layla is living proof that they can coexist. We decided to challenge the traditional french cuisine by comparing the classic french toast with a plant-based one. We also included our easy and vegan strawberry-banana coulis recipe that can be topped on the french toast. Of course, you’re free to substitute with any fruits you like or enjoy it plain – either way you’ll feel totally fancy and totally french.

While the traditional version of the french toast remains a great childhood memory, and an amazing comfort food in times of need, the vegan alternative is pretty good. It has a rather pleasant caramelized taste, feels lighter and healthier. Check out the recipes below and you be the verdict of which Pain Perdu stacks on top.

Traditional French Toast

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:5-10 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:2 people

• 1 cup milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 5 slices of bread
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Step 1

Gather all the ingredients.

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Step 2

Mix up the eggs, honey, milk and cinnamon in a bowl.

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Step 3

Steep the bread in the bowl (let it “marinate” for a little longer if the bread is older).

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Step 4

Fry the bread in a pan filled up with butter (never be greedy on that butter).

#SpoonTip: The three secrets for french cuisine are: butter, butter, and more butter.

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Vegan French Toast

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:5-10 minutes
  • Total Time:25 minutes
  • Servings:2 people

• 5 slices of bread
  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tablespoon agave syrup

Step 1

Get all the ingredients listed above.

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Step 2

Chuck everything (except for the bread) in a bowl and stir together.

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Step 3

Let it set in the fridge for 20 minutes so that the chia seeds can work their magic.

Step 4

Dip the slices of bread in the mixture before frying them in coconut oil (or any oil you have lying around in your kitchen), and voilà!

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Strawberry and Banana Coulis

• Prep Time:2 minutes
  • Cook Time:2 minutes
  • Total Time:4 minutes
  • Servings:1 cup coulis

• 7 strawberries
  • 1/2 banana
  • 1/4 cup water

Step 1

Peel and mash half a banana.

Gif by Layla Gegout
Gif by Layla Gegout

Step 2

Chop up the strawberries.

Gif by Layla Gegout
Gif by Layla Gegout

Step 3

Put every thing in a saucepan with the water and let it simmer on medium heat for a few minutes.

#SpoonTip: Keep an eye on that saucepan and don’t make the same mistake we did by burning the bottom of the puree.

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout

Step 4

Enjoy!

Photo by Layla Gegout
Photo by Layla Gegout