If you’re a regular on the health scene, you’ve probably heard of juice cleanses. If you’ve actually gone through with one, you’ve probably experienced the hangry rage associated with foregoing solid food for an extended period of time.

Juice without juicer

Gif courtesy of realitytvgifs.tumblr.com

Although I’m not personally endorsing juice cleanses, I can vouch for the revitalizing power of a good green juice. The health benefits of pure fruit and vegetable juice are numerous, and these juices are a great way to start the day (and can even have the same energizing effects as coffee).

Once in college, my love for fresh, non-processed juices collided with my measly student budget, and all of a sudden I had a problem. I realized that I had two options: purchase bottled cold-pressed juices for up to $8.00 a bottle at the grocery store, or buy a juicer for $200.00 to make my own at home.

Let’s be real here–ain’t nobody got funds for that.

Luckily, I came upon a solution. After trying and failing to strain out the yucky fibers from my homemade fruit and veggie smoothies, I discovered an extremely effective method using a household item:

Old tights or stockings. Thoroughly washed, of course.

Simple Green Juice

• Prep Time:10 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

• 1/2 lemon, peeled
  • 1 apple, cored and chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/2 cucumber, chopped
  • 1 inch section of ginger, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 cup spinach, kale or other leafy green
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 pair of tights and stockings, washed
Photo by Ashley Hackett

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend.

Photo by Ashley Hackett

Put the foot of the tights or stockings into a large, wide-mouthed cup and pour in blended mixture.

Photo by Ashley Hackett

When the stocking fills, squeeze all of the juice out and dispose of the pulp.

Photo by Ashley Hackett

Enjoy your healthy, cheap and refreshing juice.