Imagine waking up on a cool, crisp morning, slipping into a cozy pair of slippers as you get your coffee or tea brewing, and then looking out the window to see the leaves changing color. Now imagine slicing yourself a piece of apple pie for breakfast on this perfect Fall morning. 

This scene may be a bit unrealistic, and would probably result in a sugar crash an hour into your day, but this apple spice granola gets us close to this dreamy morning. It packs all the flavor and none of the guilt of a slice of apple pie, and makes the perfect breakfast, snack, or light dessert to celebrate Fall.         

Feel free to make this recipe your own. Add chopped dates or dried cranberries instead of raisins, throw some health-boosting flax seeds into to the mix, or try making your own homemade apple chips. Adjust this recipe to match your own Fall breakfast dreams.

Apple Spice Granola

• 2 cups plain rolled oats
  • 1 cup pumpkin seeds
  • 1 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/2-3/4 cup raisins
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or more cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup optional
  • 1 bag about 2.5 cups apple chips
  • 1 bag about 1.5 cups toasted coconut chips
apple, beer, cider, juice, liquor
Kate Donald

Preheat your oven to 325°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

Chop the pecans into bite-sized pieces and place them in a mixing bowl with the oats, pumpkin seeds, raisins, and spices. Don't forget the salt! It will bring out the best in everything else. Mix until well combined.

cereal, nut
    Kate Donald

Drizzle the wet ingredients over the dry and stir. For a subtle and sweet granola, leave out the honey/maple syrup, but if you're looking for an extra crisp and indulgent snack, feel free to add just a little more than you think you should. Stir it all up.

cereal, corn, rice, vegetable
    Kate Donald

Pour the granola onto your prepared sheet pan and stick it in the oven for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10. If you like your granola more compact, pack it tight in the pan, and only stir once at the 20 minute mark.

cereal, corn, buckwheat, porridge, wheat, granola, herb, oatmeal, muesli
    Kate Donald

Remove the granola from the oven and let the fall aromas fill your kitchen. After it cools for a few minutes, pour the apple chips and coconut chips over top and stir one last time.

Kate Donald

Store it in an airtight container for up to two weeks. Eat it for breakfast over yogurt or with milk, grab a handful for an afternoon snack, or sprinkle it over ice-cream for dessert. Enjoy!

peanut
    Kate Donald