Everyone loves to hate on oatmeal, but when prepared well, it can be a deliciously satisfying breakfast. The beauty of oatmeal is that keeps you full for hours, and if you’re like me and are trying to stay healthy in college, it’s the best bet to curb those cravings for greasy dining hall food between classes.

Even better, this recipe is great for a college student on a budget and on the go. With only 5 ingredients, it won’t break the bank, and it takes no time at all to make. Another perk is that has no added sugar, so you won’t get that sugar crash in the middle of your 8 am class.

This is the type of recipe that you won’t grow tired of after weeks because despite its few ingredients, the combination of flavors and natural sweetness makes it absolutely addicting.

Vegan Apple Pie Oatmeal

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:10 minutes

• 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 1/4 cup vanilla almond milk
  • 3 dates
  • 1 apple
  • 1-2 teaspoon cinnamon
Photo by Letty DiLeo

Heat vanilla almond milk over medium heat.

While the milk comes to a boil, slice dates and apples into small pieces. Set aside some of the dates and apple for garnish.

Once the almond milk comes to a boil, add the oats, apples, and dates and stir well.

#SpoonTip: If all you have is quick oats, add the apples and dates first, and give them a chance to soften before adding the oats.

Reduce heat to medium-low and cook according to box instructions and until the apples are soft.

Pour into a bowl and garnish with leftover apple slices and dates.

Photo by Letty DiLeo