When it comes to the colder seasons, broccoli cheddar soup is always the right choice. While this soup may be an easy recipe, you may learn a thing or two.
Have you ever heard of a roux? It's what makes this soup so thick and crave-worthy. It also sounds fancy, so feel free to say it over and over while completing step two.
Now enough talking about it... let's do the damn thing.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Prep Time:15 mins
- Cook Time:45 mins
- Total Time:1 hr
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion diced small
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups fat-free half and half
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets diced + 1 cup stems
- 2 large carrots sliced into thin rounds
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces grated extra-sharp cheddar cheese
Make this broccoli cheddar your own by adding a personal twist. My favorite is serving it in a sourdough bread bowl.
#SpoonTip: Look in the bakery section of your grocery store for older bread, it is usually on sale.
So instead of spending money at Panera, make this recipe at home and save the extra cash to treat yo self. I suggest also looking at the dessert recipes Spoon has to offer.