For those of you who don’t know, mug cakes are the perfect dessert for a college student. They’re quick, easy, cheap, and if you do any sort of baking, you always have the ingredients on hand to make one. 

Mug cakes are perfect for late-night stress eating, random chocolate cravings, or anytime you’re looking for a quick dessert. The fact that you have to assemble it yourself provides just enough of a barrier that you (hopefully) don’t eat them too often. This is great for me because if I buy a box of cookies, I will eat the half the box in one sitting (this has actually happened).

My obsession with mug cakes has led me to experiment with more mug cake recipes than I can count: those with milk, without milk, with peanut butter, with swaps for oil, etc. This recipe is my favorite because it finds a happy medium between having a good texture and being healthy, delicious, and easy. It also uses protein powder, which is great if you don’t eat enough meat

Chocolate Protein Powder Mug Cake

• Cook Time:1 min

• 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons cookie-flavored protein powder
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable Oil
  • 1 tablespoon applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 splash vanilla extract
  • Chocolate chips optional
Liz Joyce
Liz Joyce

Step 1

Add dry ingredients (excluding the chocolate chips) in your favorite mug.
Liz Joyce
Liz Joyce

Step 2

Add wet ingredients to the mug.
Liz Joyce
Liz Joyce

Step 3

Mix it all up!
Liz Joyce
Liz Joyce

Step 4

Optional but recommended step: mix in chocolate chips. If you're feeling sophisticated, you can create a divot in the center of the cake and only put the chocolate there, producing a molten center.
Liz Joyce
Liz Joyce

Step 5

Microwave for 1 minute.
Liz Joyce
Liz Joyce

Step 6

Revel in your culinary prowess.
Liz Joyce
Liz Joyce