As a former student who studied abroad in Florence, Italy, I miss the cultural aspects that made living in Italy feel magical. When I was living in the city, where Dante lived, I lived near a ristorante where I fell in love with a pasta dish. Although I’ve been back in America for at least a year, every now and then, I want to eat something that reminds me of studying abroad.

This pasta dish, a best-selling dish at the ristorante, follows the philosophy of Tuscan cooking and yields respect to Dante, the man and famous author who was part of the city. Tuscan tradition, which states that dishes must have no salt and be of ingredients within the place you live, is the main idea behind this dish. If you’re feeling nostalgic or in need of impressing your friends with an Italian dish, try this simple and delicious recipe.

Pasta di Tuscania

• Prep Time:5 minutes
  • Cook Time:14 minutes
  • Total Time:19 minutes

• 1/2 cup onions
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon basil
  • 1 teaspoon oregano
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • 1 box of long haired pasta

Place olive in a large pan. Heat the pan up. In the meantime, wash the cherry tomatoes and slice the onion into small pieces. When the oil is hot, add the onions and sauté.

Photo by David Zambuto

While the onions are being sautéd, add the parsley, basil and oregano into the pan.

Photo by David Zambuto

Add the washed cherry tomatoes into the large pan. Leave the tomatoes unsliced. Cook the tomatoes for 5-6 minutes.

Add the 1/2 cup of dry white wine into the large pan. I recommend using dry sherry to bring out the flavor. Leave at medium heat for 2-3 minutes, set heat to low and cover.

Photo by David Zambuto

Fill a medium sized pot with water, place on the stove and heat the pot to boil the water. When the water is heated add the pasta into the water, reduce heat and cook for 9 minutes.

Photo by David Zambuto

When the pasta is cooked, drain the excess water with a strainer over the kitchen sink. Add the pasta to the pan and mix.

Photo by David Zambuto

Plate and garnish with herbs.

Photo by David Zambuto