Almond Joy candies do not get the love they deserve. They were usually the Halloween candy you passed off to your parents to make more room in your trick-or-treat bag for Reese’s cups. If that sounds familiar, you should open up your mind a little to the beautiful combination of creamy coconut, sweet chocolate, and salty almonds. You’d be surprised how satisfying the taste of Almond Joy’s is when it’s paired with crispy marshmallowy goodness.

Dairy-free dessert lovers rejoice; these Almond Joy-inspired treats are made with coconut oil and dark chocolate. If you use the right brand of chocolate, they can make the struggle of living a gluten-free lifestyle a little sweeter as well. You’ve probably heard about the exciting health benefits of coconut oil, and dark chocolate has been known as the antioxidant-packed “healthy chocolate” for years.

So, these Rice Krispie treats are basically healthy, right? Either way, they’re a delicious and easy treat you can make in no time. Try these bad boys out for your next bake sale, or whenever you crave a quick sweet treat that won’t make you want to clock in an extra hour at the gym (not that you ever really want to).

Almond Joy Rice Krispies

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:5 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes

• 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1 bag marshmallows (10 ounces)
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 5 cup crispy rice cereal
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut, plus extra for topping
  • 3/4 cup almonds
  • 4 oz dark chocolate
Photo by Christina Robinson

Melt the coconut oil in a large pot on low heat.

Photo by Christina Robinson

Add in your marshmallows, stirring until smooth.

Photo by Christina Robinson

Remove the pot from heat. Mix in shredded coconut. Add in Rice Krispies cereal (one cup at a time) and mix well. Let it hang out for a little to cool.

Photo by Christina Robinson

Once cooled, form the mixture into 3-inch oval shapes and place on a lined baking sheet. You should end up with about 16 Rice Krispie treats.

Photo by Christina Robinson

Press two almonds on top of your Rice Krispie treats.

Photo by Christina Robinson

Simmer 1/2 cup water in a medium saucepan on medium-low heat. Put your chocolate in a bowl and place it on top of the saucepan to create a makeshift double-boiler.

Melt the chocolate, stirring until smooth

#SpoonTip: Add in an extra 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil to make the chocolate extra smooth and rich.

Photo by Christina Robinson

Once the chocolate is fully melted, spoon it onto the Rice Krispie treats, covering most of the surface.

Photo by Christina Robinson

Sprinkle on a shredded coconut and a pinch of salt and feel the joy.

Photo by Christina Robinson