The inspiration for this psychedelic smoothie came from countless hours of smoothie stalking on social media and an old memory of a lava-lamp nightlight I owned in the late 90’s. This led me to the realization that smoothies are beginning to take on a “basic” status.

I don’t know about you, but I’m getting tired of the cookie-cutter smoothies (or “smoothie bowls“) flooding Instagram these days. The ones where chia seeds, coconut flakes and bananas line up like little soldiers in their neon-pink army base. Don’t get me wrong, they’re both beautiful and delicious, but I think it’s time we switched it up.

Introducing, the psychedelic smoothie. Consider it an abstract piece of art and consider yourself the Picasso of foodies.

With this recipe, you can experiment with layering techniques. You can make a different creation each time by simply switching the way you pour each smoothie layer on top of one another. You could carefully place dollops, or aggressively dump the mix in.

Once you’re done staring at the perfectly imperfect art you’ve created, it’s time to enjoy all the nutritional benefits this smoothie has to offer. Since it contains a fruit or vegetable from all the colors of the rainbow, I highly believe that you’ll feel as good as a pot of gold once you get through this rainbow food masterpiece.

Psychedelic Smoothie

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:0 minutes
  • Total Time:20 minutes
  • Servings:2 smoothies

• 1/2 cup blackberries
  • 1/2 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 cup baby spinach
  • 1/2 cup pineapple
  • 1/2 cup mango
  • 1/2 cup strawberries
  • 2 tablespoon Greek yogurt
  • 1 1/2 cup almond milk

Add 1 teaspoon of yogurt and 1/4 cup of milk into blender.

#SpoonTip: For a sweeter (rather than tangier) smoothie, replace Greek yogurt with 1/4 of a banana.

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Add blueberries into blender and blend until smooth.

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Pour first layer into a glass.

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Repeat previous steps but with the following ingredients, next layer being blueberries.

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Pour next layer on top of first layer.

#SpoonTip: To achieve a crisp, horizontal layer, start pouring mixture along the edges with a spoon and work your way in. 

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Add spinach layer.

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Add pineapple layer.

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Add mango layer.

#SpoonTip: You can use fresh or frozen fruits and veggies. 

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Add strawberry layer.

Photo by Alexandra Miminis

Decorate rim of glass with fresh fruit.

#SpoonTip: To achieve the psychedelic effect, pour some layers through the center of the glass and some through the edges. 

Photo by Alexandra Miminis