This apple galette is essentially the lazy version of an apple pie, but there's no shame in making one instead. All the flavors and textures of a pie are here without all the fuss. 

The secret to this gluten-free crust is the ground psyllium husk, it's truly the secret to gluten-free doughs. You can find it at almost any large grocery store, likely in the supplement aisle.

Fall is the perfect season to make this galette as apples are in season, stock up and save by eating foods seasonally. 

• Total Time:1 hr

• 3/4 cup almond flour
  • 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
  • 1 tablespoon ground psyllium husk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoon coconut oil melted
  • 1/4 cup coconut nectar
  • 2 teaspoon cinnamon divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
  • 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
  • 1 1/2 medium sized apples
apple, tart, galette, pear, bread, pie, apple pie, pastry, sweet
Photo by Kristine Mahan

Add almond flour, gluten-free oat flour, psyllium husk, water, coconut oil, coconut nectar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and vanilla to a small mixing bowl.

bread, cookie
    Photo by Kristine Mahan

Stir until a dough forms. Roll the dough into a ball, cover in plastic, and let chill in the fridge while preparing the galette's filling.

sweet, cream, milk, chocolate, coffee
    Photo by Kristine Mahan

Slice apples thinly. In the same bowl that was used to make dough, toss to coat in coconut sugar and remaining teaspoon of cinnamon.

Photo by Kristine Mahan

Remove dough from fridge and preheat oven to 350°F.

flour, bread, dough, sweet, pastry, wheat, cookie, dairy product
    Photo by Kristine Mahan

Roll dough out between two pieces of wax paper until approximately 1/4" thick. Add filling to the center.

sweet, chips
    Photo by Kristine Mahan

Begin to fold up the edges of the galette over top of the filling, crimping to keep them together. Optionally, sprinkle the edges with extra coconut sugar and cinnamon.

apple, bread, pear
    Photo by Kristine Mahan

Transfer to a lined baking sheet, bake for 40 minutes until apples are soft and the crust is just beginning to crisp.

apple, sweet, cinnamon, bread, apple pie, pastry, cake
    Photo by Kristine Mahan