Growing up spending summers on my grandparent’s blueberry farm in New Hampshire, I spent my days stuffing my face with blueberries straight from the bush. But when I was not stuffing my face full of handfuls of blueberries, I was stuffing my face full of my grandmother’s famous blueberry cake.

People from all over New Hampshire come to my grandparents’ Blueberry Farm just to get their hands on a slice of my grandmother’s famous family recipe. Grandma knows best amirite? There is such high demand for her cake that she often spends her summer days slaving away in the kitchen making this mouthwatering summer sweet.

If you are ever in the Portsmouth area, make sure to stop by Blueberry Bay Farm to get your hands on a slice. If you’re not a New Hampshire native, check out the recipe below to make this delicious summer treat on your own!

Blueberry Cake

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:1 hour
  • Total Time:1 hour and 20 minutes

• 1/2 cup butter
  • 3 eggs (large)
  • 3 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup milk
  • 4 cup blueberries
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Grease a 10-inch tube pan and set aside. In a large bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed in a large mixing bowl. Once mixture is well combined, beat in the eggs.

Stir the blueberries into flour mixture. By hand, combine and stir this mixture into the butter, sugar and egg mixture. Next, add in the milk and stir until combined.

Spread batter in prepared pan and bake at 375°F in oven for about 60 minutes.

Once out of the oven, let cool for a few minutes and then loosen the cake from edge of pan with a narrow spatula. Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.

Photo by Abigail Laurence