Homemade zucchini bread is one of my absolute favorite things to eat for breakfast. It may have something to do with the fact that it is cake in the disguise of breakfast, but it has zucchini in it, so that makes it healthy, right? Even though this logic may not hold up, this recipe is better than other dessert-like breakfasts.

My biggest problem with muffins and breakfast loaves is that they’re incredibly dry, yet they still manage to leave a greasy film on my hands.

This zucchini bread is just the opposite. It is incredibly moist and it stays that way (I can’t verify how long exactly because a loaf only lasts at most three days in my house). But I can tell you that it’s just as soft and fluffy on day three as it was the day I baked it.

Prep Time: 20 Minutes

Cook Time: 45 Minutes

Total Time: 65 Minutes

Medium

Servings: About 8

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini (about 3 medium zucchini)
1 cup canola oil
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups all-purpose flour

Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 325° F. Spray two loaf pans with nonstick spray and set them on top of a lined baking sheet.

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

2. Wash zucchini thoroughly and cut off both ends.

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

3. Using a food processor with a grating top or a cheese grater, finely grate the zucchini.

4. In a mixing bowl, combine sugar, shredded zucchini, canola oil, eggs, vanilla and salt. Mix thoroughly until combined.

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

5. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well, scraping the sides and the bottom of the bowl throughout so that everything is well incorporated.

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

6. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans.

7. Bake for 1 hour, but start checking them at the 45-minute mark (different types of pans will cook at slightly different rates). The bread will be done when a knife comes out completely clean and the loaves are golden brown.

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang

8. Remove from the oven and cool in the pans for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, flip the loaf pans and cool completely on the baking sheet.

9. Store in a sealed container for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.

zucchini bread

Photo by Jasmine Tang