Do you have a Valentine? Make something special for someone else or keep all the chocolates for yourself. Either way, don’t find yourself under a pile of empty candy wrappers the morning of the 15th. Store bought brand-name candies are full of chemicals, high fructose corn syrup and other many-lettered harmful products that no one can pronounce. This year, make a healthy delicious treat in less than 15 minutes. These dark chocolate almond walnut cranberry clusters have the perfect amount of sweetness so that you’ll fall in love, no cupid needed.
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Cool Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 15-17 minutes
Dark Chocolate Almond Walnut Cranberry Clusters
1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips or bark
1 cup walnuts
1 cup almonds
3/4 cups craisins
1. Spread both almonds and walnuts out evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 8 minutes (it is better to under roast than burn so watch closely).
2. Follow instructions on the package to melt dark chocolate in a microwave safe bowl until smooth and creamy.
Measure cranberries and roasted nuts and stir into smooth melted chocolate evenly.
3. Spoon out small clusters of the mouth-watering mixture onto aluminum foil lined baking sheets
4. Then (the fun part, because let’s be honest, toppings take the clusters from ordinary to extraordinary), mix and match toppings: drizzle and sprinkle any combination of sea salt, coconut flakes and caramel.
5. Slip in the fridge for 10 minutes or more, and these treats and ready to eat!
You should have extra chocolate. Use the rest on whatever you have in your pantry: pretzels, other nuts, figs, strawberries.
Making your own candy can save you money and your valentine from harmful chemicals. Put that box of Russell Stover’s back on the shelf. If life is like a box of unhealthy chocolates, I think I’d be happier making my own. Enjoy these healthy treats all year long!