The occasional can of Chef Boyardee is a staple of almost every college student’s diet. But, like most things, its attractiveness wanes after repetitive consumption. A quick and easy alternative is clearly needed. Inspired by Real Mac ‘N’ Cheese in a Mug, I wanted to create a spaghetti dinner that could be prepared in a microwave. Made with either fresh vegetables or available spices, this recipe will quickly become a go-to meal for those days when you lack the will to leave the comforts of your dorm.
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 12 minutes
3/4 cup pasta sauce
1 cup water
1/4 large yellow onion (or 1 teaspoon onion powder)
1/2 garlic clove (or 1/16 teaspooon garlic powder)
1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Red pepper flakes to taste
1. In a medium to large-size bowl, combine pasta and water. While completely submerging the noodles in the water is preferable, it will also work if you have a smaller bowl.
2. Cook pasta in 1 minute increments for 3 minutes, stirring after each minute. When the noodles have softened and can be completely submerged in the water, microwave again for three minutes for al dente noodles.
3. While the noodles are cooking, chop onions and garlic.
4. Place onions and garlic in a microwave-safe container and coat with olive oil.
5. Cover the container with plastic wrap, and make two incisions.
6. Remove pasta from microwave. Do not drain.
7. Microwave garlic and onions on 70% power in 1 minute intervals. Repeat three times (stir after each minute to ensure that garlic and onions do not burn.)
8. Add sauce and spices to garlic and onion mixture. Stir and microwave for 1 minute.
9. While sauce is heating up, drain pasta and toss with a little olive oil.
10. Combine sauce and noodles. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
For related articles, check out: