We all know it. The intoxicating aroma of warm, buttery popcorn that envelops you the second you walk through the theater doors. It’s the kind of comforting scent that eases you, makes you feel at home. And now you can make the same delicious, finger-licking-good movie theater popcorn in the comforts of your own home. When the waft of sweet butter fills your kitchen and perfumes your entire apartment, you’ll know you’re in for something good.

Level: Easy

Total Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1 small bowl of popcorn

Melted butter or Canola oil (if you want to keep it healthy)
Salt
Sugar (optional)
3 small handfuls of popcorn kernels

Directions:

1. Put three small handfuls of popcorn kernels in a bowl.
2. Drizzle a little bit of melted butter or oil on the kernels – just enough to coat them.

3. Sprinkle generously with salt (and sugar if you enjoy the salty sweet combination).
4. Pour kernels into a brown paper bag and fold bag over twice.
5. Microwave the bag of kernels for 1 minute and 30 seconds to 2 minutes, or until there are about 2 seconds between pops.
6. Drizzle melted butter or oil over popcorn and toss.
7. Sprinkle in more salt to taste and toss thoroughly.

There are lots of ways to spice up your popcorn, and this recipe is the perfect base for limitless possibilities. Try some of these easy mixes and discover a new favorite snack!

Nutella Popcorn
Melt a half cup of sugar, 3 tablespoons of butter, a half cup of honey and 3 tablespoons (or more if desired) of Nutella in a saucepan until it boils, constantly whisking to make sure it doesn’t burn. Then drizzle the sauce over popcorn laid out flat on a piece of foil, or mix the sauce and popcorn in a bowl. You can also take the coated popcorn while it’s still hot and press them into Nutella popcorn balls. Use latex gloves and butter the gloves before molding the sticky popcorn.

Popcorn Party Mix
Just toss the popcorn with your favorite snacks like Cheez-its, pretzels or whatever you’d like to make an easy party snack mix. Try adding mini M&M’s or chocolate covered pretzels to get a sweet, salty component.

Chile Lime Popcorn
In a separate bowl while popcorn is popping, whisk together melted butter and lime juice. In another, mix cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper. When popcorn is done, pour butter and lime juice mixture into the bag and shake. Taste and if needed, add more. After everything is coated, pour seasonings into bag and shake thoroughly. Spread out popcorn on a baking sheet and bake for a couple minutes to let the popcorn dry.

Cajun Popcorn
In a separate bowl mix paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Pour into popcorn bag (the popcorn should already be coated with butter) and shake until coated evenly.

Parmesan Popcorn
Sprinkle some grated cheese onto hot popcorn and shake bag. The cheese will melt into the butter and make a nice salty, nutty, buttery coating. You can add some oregano and red pepper flakes to this as well if you’d like to give it extra flavor!