When it comes to choosing between the convenience of store-bought and the freshness of homemade, balance is key. I never commit to making something myself if I can buy a comparable item off the shelf and save a bit of precious time. However, a few things are worth making at home and can ultimately save you money and give you control over what exactly gets added into your food. Hummus is one of those things. Hummus is a creamy garbanzo bean dip that can add Mediterranean flavor to a deli-style sandwich, be served as a dip for fresh or roasted veggies or be used as a smoky condiment on burgers. A typical container of hummus costs about $4 at the store. However, this recipe makes double the amount you would get from that container and costs just $2-$3 per batch, depending on what brand of tahini you buy. Once you’ve mastered the basic recipe, you can play with spices and mix-ins like roasted peppers.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes

Servings: 1 and 3/4 cup hummus hgh hormone human

1/4 cup water
1/4 cup tahini
1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
1 13-ounce can garbanzo beans (also called chickpeas)
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
Salt to taste

1. Drain chickpeas in a colander and rinse well. Set aside.

homemade hummus

Photo by Kendra Valkema

2. Juice lemon and set juice aside.

homemade hummus

Photo by Kendra Valkema

3. In a food processor or Magic Bullet, blend water, tahini and lemon juice until a runny paste forms. If necessary, scrape down sides with a spatula between pulses.

homemade hummus

Photo by Kendra Valkema

4. Add garlic cloves, olive oil, cumin and salt. Blend until no garlic pieces are visible.

homemade hummus

Photo by Kendra Valkema

5. Add rinsed garbanzo beans and blend well until beans are completely mashed.

homemade hummus

Photo by Kendra Valkema

homemade hummus

Photo by Kendra Valkema

6. Scoop out hummus with a spatula and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.

homemade hummus

Photo by Kendra Valkema