Ahh, iced coffee. So delicious and refreshing. The only problem is that it’s always slightly more expensive than hot coffee, it always seems to taste better from a coffee shop, and nobody has time for their own morning brew to cool in the fridge. Alas, we can help fix these caffeine caveats.

This homemade cold brew recipe is really easy, delicious, and requires few ingredients and gadgets. Just plan a bit ahead because it does require a day or so to sit; we suggest making it in the afternoon or evening if you want it ready by the a.m. Plus, one recipe makes you 4 servings of concentrated cold brew that keeps its flavor even when you add ice. Your summer caffeine fix on the cheap.  It’s a win-win!

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Chill Time: 12-18 hours
Total Time: 12-18 hours

Servings: 4 servings

Iced Coffee

Photo by Katherine Baker

What You’ll Need:
2/3 cup ground coffee
3 cups water
Large container
Ice
Coffee filter
Colander

1. Combine ground coffee and water in a large pitcher, container, or French press.
2. Cover the container with a tight-fitting lid and let sit at room temperature for 12-18 hours. Don’t worry about germs without refrigeration; the high acid content of the coffee will prevent anything bad from growing.

Iced Coffee

Photo by Katherine Baker

3. After 12-18 hours, strain the coffee through a colander or through the French press.

Iced Coffee

Photo by Katherine Baker

4. Strain coffee again.

Iced Coffee

Photo by Katherine Baker

5. Pour your desired amount of coffee into a glass and add ice. You can also add milk, soymilk, sugar or whatever else your heart desires.
6. Store the rest of the concentrate in the fridge, where it will be good for about 10 days.

Iced Coffee

Photo by Katherine Baker