As a college student, it's sometimes difficult to find healthy options considering the limited free time, budget, and food available on campus. In fact, the way someone eats in college may lead to unhealthy habits that can affect future health. It can be frustrating to not be able to indulge in desserts without feeling guilty afterwards, especially if you have a sweet tooth like myself. So, I have experimented and scavenged around for some healthy alternatives to share with you!

Sliced Apple with Peanut Butter

sweet, chocolate, nut, candy
Mulin Xiong

Slice an apple into thin pieces, then spread peanut butter or almond butter onto the slices. For an even better dessert, sprinkle dark chocolate chips, nuts, or even other fruit on top. In just a few minutes this delicious dessert may become your next go-to snack.

Chocolate-Covered Almond

nut, almond, peanut, pecan, meat
Julia Fuller

Melt a cup of dark chocolate chips or a small chocolate bar in a saucepan or a similar pot and then add about two cups of almonds into the pot. Stir well until fully covered and then place the almonds onto a baking sheet. Sprinkle with sea salt and leave in the refrigerator until the chocolate has cooled down (it should only take a few minutes). This small snack may be just enough to satisfy your cravings.

Banana Ice Cream

sweet, milk, cream, dairy product, blueberry, yogurt, berry
Katie Walsh

Cut a banana into slices and put it into a bowl or Ziploc bag and leave in the freezer until frozen. This process will take around 5 or so hours. Once your banana is frozen, put the slices in a food processor or blender until it has the right creamy texture (manually crushing it in the bag works too). Add nuts, fruit, coconut shavings, or dark chocolate chips for a delicious treat.

Baked Cinnamon Apples

vegetable, sweet, potato, meat
Lauren Eiden

Cut apples, sprinkle on about two teaspoons of cinnamon, and add two tablespoons of honey or maple syrup (just don't go too overboard with this). Lay the apples on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 375ºF. For a simple and quicker option, microwave the apples for 3 to 4 minutes in a microwave-safe container or glass bowl. Try this at home next time you want something new for dessert.

Classic Greek Yogurt Parfait

strawberry, berry, milk, yogurt, cream
Lara Taniguchi

Mix honey and your choice of fruit into Greek yogurt. For a twist, add some quinoa or nuts to add some crunch. Almond butter or peanut butter is also a great addition to top off this feel-good dessert. This parfait can also be a quick yet sweet breakfast option full of nutrients to kick off your day just right.

Next time you're thinking about diving into that cupcake, you may want to think about healthy substitutes that can satisfy your cravings. As an added bonus, you'll even be able to eat a bigger portion of these desserts without feeling a sugar crash. After all, it's all about moderation, not deprivation.