These healthy chocolate chip muffins have a light and airy texture and are packed with vitamins and minerals. They taste amazing, and as an added bonus, they are egg-, dairy-, and cholesterol-free. Don't be intimidated by them being called, "healthy chocolate chip muffins." You won't even taste the difference. These are muffins that you can feel good about eating.

Healthy Chocolate Chip Muffins

• 4 ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cups almond milk
  • 2 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil or coconut oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/2 cup carob chips or chocolate chips
sweet, cake, goody, cookie, pastry, chocolate, muffin
Logan Poplin

Preheat your oven to 355˚F and lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin with olive or coconut oil.

muffin, cake
    Ethan Cappello

Add the bananas and almond milk in a blender. Blend until smooth. If you don't have a blender, you can hand mash the bananas and whisk in the almond milk. Set aside.

vegetable
    Logan Poplin

Combine the flour and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.

cream, egg, batter, bread, cake, pancake, dough, flour
    Logan Poplin

To the banana and almond milk mixture, add the coconut sugar, vanilla, and olive or coconut oil. Add the wet ingredients into the bowl with the flour and baking powder. Whisk until it is well combined.

Add the carob or chocolate chips and stir again.

porridge, blueberry, black beans, cereal
    Logan Poplin

Scoop the batter into the muffin tins. Fill each one about 3/4 full.

chocolate, cookie, sweet, dough, cake, pastry, muffin
    Logan Poplin

Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool for at least 5 minutes before removing them from the muffin pan. Place on a wire rack to cool completely.

goody, raisin, cake, pastry, cookie, sweet, chocolate
    Logan Poplin

By making a few mindful changes to a traditional muffin recipe, you can enjoy a healthy, nutrient-filled chocolate chip muffin. Switch up your flour routine by substituting all-purpose flour for whole wheat pastry flour. You'll be adding fiber and vitamins that all-purpose flour lacks.

Use ripe bananas as an egg replacer to cut cholesterol and add an energy boost. If you've never tried coconut sugar before, I highly recommend that you do so. It tastes similar to a deep, rich caramel. It's lower on the glycemic index, which makes it a perfect sugar substitute for people with diabetes or those just watching their sugar intake.

Don't be afraid to use coconut oil just because it is a saturated fat. TBH, you can totally throw a tablespoon of coconut oil on your hair, concentrating on your ends, while you bake these muffins. After you rinse it out, your shiny, moisturized hair will speak volumes of how versatile and amazing coconut oil really is.

Lastly, carob chips are a healthy alternative to chocolate chips. They have more calories than chocolate chips, but they don't contain caffeine and they have less fat. 

Eat these healthy chocolate chip muffins for breakfast on the go, a snack, or even a late night dessert.