Get cozy with this nest for Sunday brunch! Many of us eat eggs and toast for breakfast, but the routine can get a little dull. Jazz up your morning munch with ham, mayonnaise and some oven-happy-time. For special occasions, like Mother’s day, you can use a heart shaped cookie cutter.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
2 slices of bread
2 slices of ham
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
Salt & pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 300°F.
2. Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut a hole in one slice of bread, yielding enough space for an egg.
3. Place a slice of ham on the other slice of bread.
4. Spread mayonnaise near the edges of the cut bread.*
5. Press the cut bread, mayonnaise side down, on top of the ham bread.
6. Spread mayonnaise on top of the cut bread to cover completely. **
7. Cut the ham into small pieces, place on to the corners of the cut bread.
8. Crack an egg into the hole.
9. Season with salt & pepper.
10. Bake for 20 minutes.
*The mayonnaise creates a seal between the ham and the top bread, so raw egg doesn’t seep out when the bread is cooking.
**The mayonnaise on top of the cut bread prevents burning. If patches of bread become exposed, those areas will burn.
***This cooking time yields a bright yellow soft yolk, almost done. For runny or solid yolk, decrease or increase cooking time by 4 minutes.
Like this? We figured. Why don’t you pin it?