Throughout the month of December, my parents’ house smells of freshly baked gingerbread. The iconic holiday gingerbread men fill up the cookie jar throughout the holiday season. The cookies are delicious any way you choose: plain, topped with icing or decorated with mini M&Ms, and the dough can be cut into whatever shape your friends or family prefer — just keep the shapes PG for family parties…
Prep Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8-12 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Servings: 3-4 dozen gingerbread men (depending on what size you make them)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup, 2 tablespoons molasses
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3 cups flour
1. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Blend in the molasses and egg.
3. Add cinnamon, ground ginger, salt and baking soda and mix well.
4. Slowly add in flour. Stir until flour is fully mixed.
5. Wrap dough in saran wrap. Refrigerate at least an hour or up to 2 days.
6. When ready to bake gingerbread, preheat oven to 350°F. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1/8-1/4” inch thickness. Using a cookie cutter, cut out gingerbread men (or any holiday shape you want).
8. Bake for 8-12 minutes (depending on thickness and shape size), until light brown.
9. Transfer to wire rack and let cool for decorating.