These French crêpes are light and thin with a slightly sweet batter that can be tasty by itself or complement a filling. Fill with anything sweet: marmalade, maple syrup, Nutella, powdered sugar, fresh fruit and berries, melted chocolate, etc. While mixing the batter, feel free to experiment with pinches of spices like nutmeg or cinnamon, or a couple drops of vanilla extract.

Easy

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes

Servings: makes 6 crêpes

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup + 2 tablespoons milk (whole, 2% or skim)
2 tablespoons butter, melted + extra for the pan
2 eggs

Directions:
1. Mix the flour and sugar in a medium sized bowl.
2. Add the milk and whisk until smooth. (Tip: If you heat the milk in the microwave for 1-2 minutes, the clumps will dissolve faster.)
3. Add the 2 tablespoons of melted butter and whisk until smooth.
4. Add the eggs and whisk until the batter is smooth.

crepes1

Photo by Liz Tadie

5. Add butter to the pan and let it melt. Add as much butter as necessary to keep the crêpes from sticking to the pan.
6. Use a soup ladle or a 1/3 measuring cup to pour batter on the pan. The crêpes should be thin, so pour just enough for the batter to spread all over the pan.

crepes2

Photo by Liz Tadie

7. When the batter looks ready (not runny, tiny bubbles, crisp edges) flip the crêpe with a spatula.
8. Let the other side cook for another 1-2 minutes. Each side should be golden, with some brown spots. (Tip: if the pan is non-stick, the brown spots will not appear because there is less butter on the pan.)

crepes5

Photo by Liz Tadie

9. Repeat steps 5-8 until all the batter is used up.
10. Add fillings or toppings to taste.

crepes7

Photo by Liz Tadie