We’re constantly told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but as students we never really had the time…until now. Put down your Fage 2%, because this recipe is going to change your morning routine. This french toast cuts the unwanted calories from the traditional preparation, but leaves all the flavor and decadence that makes it a brunch favorite. The major plus: you only need to set your alarm back by ten minutes.
Prep Time: 3 minutes.
Cook Time: 5 minutes.
Total Time: About 8 minutes.
Dash margarine (for coating pan)
½ cup vanilla almond milk or soy milk (I like Silk, but Almond Breeze works just as well!)
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon agave sweetener (available at FroGro)
3 slices whole wheat bread (Nature’s Own, available at FroGro, is perfectly thick and only has 60 calories per slice!)
1 tablespoon sugar-free maple syrup
Blueberries, raspberries, bananas, or strawberries
1. Heat skillet on medium and lightly coat with margarine.
2. In a medium-sized bowl, combine egg, milk, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and agave. Mix until ingredients are combined and egg is well-blended.
3. Coat each side of bread in liquid mixture, making sure the slice is thoroughly soaked but not falling apart.
4. Add slices of bread to skillet, cooking each side about 2 minutes until golden brown.
5. Garnish with fruit and sugar-free maple syrup and serve.