We all know that disheartening feeling when there isn’t enough flour, sugar, or butter in the cupboard or fridge to bake something spectacular. However, this quick chocolate cake makes the most of scant amounts of simple ingredients.

This cake is actually so rich that it remains perfectly flat, but don’t let its size fool you. Dressed up with some powdered sugar and fruit it will not be forgotten. It’s also a great last minute birthday cake all chocolate lovers will enjoy.

If you want to elevate this recipe, you could spread cream cheese frosting over the top for an even richer dessert option. You could also pour over the chocolate ganache from this recipe.

Flat Chocolate Cake

• Prep Time:15 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:35 minutes
  • Servings:8 slices

• 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
  • 6 tablespoon butter
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 Eggs
  • 9-inch springform pan
Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer

Preheat oven to 350˚F.

Trace the bottom of a 9-inch spring-form pan onto parchment paper.

Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer

Line the bottom of the pan with the parchment paper.

#SpoonTip: A springform pan works best for this cake, but a regular round cake pan can also work as long if it’s greased well or lined entirely with parchment paper. Flouring the parchment paper will also help make it easier to remove the cake after it’s baked.

Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer

Melt the chocolate chips and the butter together.

#SpoonTip: To avoid burning the chocolate, constantly stir the chocolate chips in a bowl over boiling water until melted and silky smooth.

Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer

Mix the sugar, eggs, and flour in a separate bowl.

Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer

Add in the chocolate-butter mixture and stir until combined nicely.

Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer

Pour mixture into the pan and bake for 20 minutes.

Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer

Allow the cake to cool before removing it from the pan. Dust the top with powdered sugar using a small wire strainer, and add some raspberries or fresh raspberry sauce for a delicious touch.

Photo by Kaitlyn Thayer