Spoon University Logo
029fbc9c ad1a 4f2c 9c60 607235351e8d?width=734&height=489&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
029fbc9c ad1a 4f2c 9c60 607235351e8d?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
Photo by Ed Anderson
Recipes

Every Table Needs A Messy Herby Potato Salad

The following recipe for A Messy Herby Potato Salad is from “Second Generation: Hungarian and Jewish Classics Reimagined for the Modern Table” by Jeremy Salamon. It’s available for purchase on Amazon.

It’s no secret potatoes are versatile. There’s a multitude of ways to have potatoes — fries, chips, baked potatoes, hashbrowns, mashed potatoes, and the list goes on. Potatoes can elevate any dish. It’s criminal to call it a side dish when it can be argued that potatoes are the main character. An underrated potato form is the potato salad. The rich flavors perfectly complement the comforting texture and it’s super easy to make. There’s also no right way to make a potato salad. Sneak in veggies like crunchy celery and onions or go very savory by adding bacon bits. The possibilities are endless here. James Beard Nominated Chef Jeremy Salamon understands the need for a good potato salad to complement your meals. In his cookbook, Second Generation: Hungarian and Jewish Classics Reimagined for the Modern Table, one of the 100 Hungarian and Jewish recipes featured is the Messy Herby Potato Salad.

A Messy Herby Potato Salad

Difficulty:BeginnerPrep time: 15 minutesCook time: 25 minutesTotal time: 40 minutesServings:4 servings

Instructions

1. Arrange the potatoes in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Aggressively season the water with a few big pinches of salt. Set over high heat, bring to a boil, and cook for about 20 minutes, until the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and cool.
  2. While the potatoes are cooking, make the dressing. Combine the olive oil, canola oil, parsley, dill, mint, and anchovies in a blender or food processor. Blend for about 1 minute, until the oil turns emerald green. (Alternatively, you can finely chop the herbs and anchovy and fold into the oil.)
  3. When the potatoes are still warm but cool enough to handle, slice them in half and transfer to a large bowl. Toss the potatoes with the dressing and lemon juice. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Garnish with the minced chives and remaining herbs before serving.
Keywords:Dinner, Jewish, Potato, Salads
Second Generation?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp&dpr=4

From the book SECOND GENERATION by Jeremy Salamon. Copyright 2024 by Jeremy Salamon. Reprinted by permission of HarperCollins Publishers.

Giselle Medina is the associate editor for Spoon University where she helps oversee food coverage of news, pop culture, trends, and celebrities. In her free time, Giselle is an avid TV binge-watcher and will never say no to a Real Housewives franchise, but also makes the best chocolate chip muffins (at least that's what her inner circle says). She has a huge sweet tooth and is always on the hunt for a good chocolate chip cookie. Shoot her an email at gisellemedina@hercampus.com.