Now that it’s summer, ice cream never tasted better (then again, ice cream always tastes good). And there’s really nothing better than homemade ice cream. This no-churn ice cream takes no longer than 15 minutes to make—no egg yolks or ice cream machine required. Add whatever you’d like to the base: dulce de leche, caramel sauce, cream cheese and strawberries (to make a strawberry cheesecake ice cream), or try my personal favorite: peanut butter, Oreos and hot fudge (recipe below). Let those creative juices flow by personalizing this ice cream base to your own preferences.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1. In a bowl, combine the condensed milk and vanilla extract until smooth.
2. In a medium size bowl, beat the heavy cream with either a whisk or an electric beater until stiff peaks form—don’t over beat it or else you’ll end up with butter. Make sure it’s chilled or it won’t whip up nicely.
3. Fold in the condensed milk mixture, being careful not to deflate the cream too much.
4. Pour into a container with a lid or cover with saran warp and place in the freezer for a minimum of 2 hours.
Variation ideas: Peanut Butter Oreo Fudge Swirl Ice Cream
1. Add 3/4 cup peanut butter to the condensed milk mixture and whisk until smooth.
2. Fold in 16 Oreo cookies that have been crushed or chopped up in 1/4 inch chunks.
3. After you’ve placed the mixture in a container, top with 1/2 cup of hot fudge sauce.
4. Swirl with a knife until marbled, then place in freezer.