So maybe you didn’t make it all the way down to New Orleans for Mardi Gras, but nothing’s stopping you from partaking in that sweet celebration right in your living room.

The hurricane cocktail is a Mardi Gras staple and can be traced back to New Orleans in the 1940s. Legend has it that Pat O’Brien, a local bar owner, wanted to create a drink to help him quickly dispose of the less popular rum that the distributors forced him to buy. By channeling his inner mad scientist and dumping a variety of fix-ins (including the not-so-desirable rum) into a hurricane-lamp shaped glass, the hurricane cocktail was born. And now Mr. O’Brien is loved for it.

So make sure to tip your hat to this cocktail genius and the city of New Orleans.

Note: this is just one of many renditions of the cocktail that exist, but trust me, it’s a good one.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 5 minutes

Servings: 1 cocktail

2 ounces light rum
2 ounces dark rum
2 ounces passion fruit juice
1 ounce orange juice
1 tablespoon simple syrup
1 tablespoon grenadine
Juice of half a lime
Cherry and lime wedge for garnish

Mardis Gras Hurricane Cocktail- Abigail Wilkins

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

1. Squeeze juice from half of lime into cocktail shaker over ice.

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

2. Combine remaining ingredients (except for garnish) and shake until well combined.

Mardis Gras Hurricane Cocktail

Photo by Abigail Wilkins

3. Pour cocktail into a hurricane glass or tall drinking glass.
4. Garnish with cherry and lime and start celebrating the month of March, Mardi Gras style.

Photo by Abigail Wilkins