Black rice, also called forbidden rice, is an incredibly nutritious rice. It's packed with antioxidants, vitamin E and fiber that all help fight against diabetes, cancer and weight gain. The less popular grain has high amounts of anthocyanin that give it that deep purple color. In my opinion, it's the prettiest rice out there, but I didn’t know it existed until my housemate decided to make a pudding out of it (you can also make salads and risotto, though) and graciously let me try some. The recipe was incredibly easy, so I decided to give it a try.

#SpoonTip: Make sure to watch and constantly stir because it can easily burn and stick to the bottom of the pot. 

cereal, pasture, coffee, malt, cumin
Nicole Nguyen

There are 3 main ingredients: black rice, coconut milk and brown sugar. 

Black Rice Pudding

• Cook Time:1 hr 30 mins
  • Total Time:1 hr 35 mins

• 1 cup black rice
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
  • pinch salt

Pour one cup rice and three cups water into a pot and bring to boil, covered. Add the salt, and let it simmer for an additional 45 minutes on low, uncovered.

soup, spinach
    Nicole Nguyen

Once the rice is cooked, add 1 to 1 1/2 cup of coconut milk to your taste.
    Add a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons of brown sugar (I don't like things too sweet so I decreased the amount from the original recipe).

Stir occasionally for 30 minutes.

coffee, espresso, tea, cappuccino, milk
    Nicole Nguyen

The rice should be tender, but have a bit of a crunch to it. Take it off the stove and let cool off.
    Add any type of garnish you want, I like almonds so I added almonds and drizzled the extra coconut milk I had on top. Enjoy!

coffee, chocolate, milk, sweet, cream
    Nicole Nguyen