For those days when you’re staring into the Great Beyond that is your fridge, here’s a quick fix for those hunger pains. Especially good on rainy days in Eugene, this soup recipe can be made vegetarian and you can buy all of these ingredients at Trader Joe’s. Additionally his recipe goes exceptionally well with pork and rice, for a heartier and more filling meal.
Prep Time: 10 min.
Cook Time: 15 min.
Total Time: 20 min.
Serving Size: 1-2
Note: I made mine a single serving because I’m a hungry hungry hippo. However, this amount of food is easily enough for two or three, depending on whether or not you decide to serve it with rice.
½ white onion
1 can of cannellini beans
1 cup of chicken or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 sweet potato
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Add broth to pot on medium heat. Stir in chopped onions and let simmer for a while. Add cumin, salt, and pepper.
2. Blend half the can of beans and leave the other half whole.
3. Add both blended mixture and whole beans to the broth and onion mixture. Keep on medium heat.
3. As the beans, broth, and onions simmer, cook the sweet potato in the microwave on high for 4-5 minutes, or use the preset potato setting.
Tip: Stab potato a few times all around with a fork to help it cook evenly in the microwave.
5. When done, chop up the sweet potato and add to the pot, mixing together and adding more cumin, salt, or pepper as desired.
Tip: I leave the skin on because I enjoy it and because it contains extra nutrients, but it’s not necessary.
4. Pour straight into a bowl and enjoy with jalapeños, salsa, or chips on top.