Granola is essentially the perfect food. Whole grain and with antioxidant-packed add-ins, it’s satisfying and a great snack to have stocked in your pantry. Plus, it’s customizable to your taste. Have it for breakfast, take it to go on a hike or to class and even eat it when you have the drunchies.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
1 1/2 cups oats
2 tablespoons vegetable/canola oil or melted butter
1/3 cup apple juice (apple cider is best! Odds and ends including coffee, white wine or rum can also work if that’s all you’ve got in your college pantry)
3 tablespoons agave, honey, jam or maple syrup
Pinch of salt
Nuts: almonds, cashews, pistachios, hazelnuts, walnuts – your call!
Seeds: chia, flax, sunflower
Spices: cinnamon, ginger, cocoa, cardamom
Nut butters: peanut, almond, hazelnut (PB2 works especially well)
Extracts: vanilla, almond, mint
Dried fruit: raisins, cherries, coconut, goji berries
Chocolate: dark, milk, white – whatever your sweet tooth craves!
Here are a few flavor combinations that work especially well:
– Cinnamon, cardamom and maple
– Dark chocolate, pistachio and sea salt
– PB&J: peanuts, jam, peanut butter, dried cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Combine dry ingredients – oats, spices, nuts.
3. Add in wet ingredients – juice and agave.
4. Bake for about 15 minutes, check the granola and stir it around so it bakes evenly. Put the granola back in the oven for another 5 to 10 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on your granola – depending on add-ins, it could take more or less time.
5. Add in extras like dried fruit and chocolate. Be sure to add chocolate immediately so it melts and coats the granola.
To be granola about your granola, store in a recycled glass jar.
Enjoy with Greek yogurt, berries and honey.
And don’t forget your milk from the Cornell Dairy!