When asking, “What’s for dinner?” the sides are usually just that: afterthoughts. Vegetables rarely get the spotlight they deserve. Howeverspring is here! And that means there are so many beautiful veggies popping up everywhere. This week at the farmers market, Capay Organic had carrot batons to sample. For those of you envisioning dried-out sticks with zero flavor, think again. These carrots were so sweet that I forgot all about the gorgeous strawberries at the stand next door. While these beauties, snapped right off at their tops, are delicious on their own, a little prep in the kitchen makes them even more delectable. This super simple spin on roasted carrots, adding a dash of coriander and some orange zest, will make you forget the steak on your plate (yes, carnivores included) in favor of vegetablesand who knew that could ever happen?

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: Approximately 35 minutes

Carrots (preferably small-medium in size)
Whole coriander seeds
Olive oil
Orange peels
Salt

1. Trim the tops of the carrots. Give the tops a taste before you pitch them. If you like them, save the tops for sautéed greens or soup; otherwise, compost the green stuff.
2. Wash the carrots well. If they’re small to medium-sized and sweet enoughthere’s no need to peel them. The skin is delicious when roasted.

carrots

Photo by Charlotte Hull

3. Lay the carrots down side-by-side for even cooking. (TIP: Do not pile them on top of each other.)

carrots

Photo by Charlotte Hull

4. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle salt and a generous amount of whole coriander seeds on top. Tuck a few orange peels amongst the carrotsit’s best if they’re underneath the carrots and submerged in the oil so that the peels will flavor the oil and keep from burning while in the oven.
5. Roast at 350℉ for about 30 minutes or until just cooked through. Carrots should be tender but not mushy, and the skin should be lightly blistered and golden.

carrots

Photo by Charlotte Hull

6. Cool 5 minutes before snacking.

These coriander-roasted carrots are delicious served warm or room temperature, alongside a protein or as a topping for your salad. You may also find that they’re perfect right out of the pan!

More good stuff here: