In about one week, Cupid will be arriving for one of America’s most beloved and hated holidays: Valentine’s Day. Whether you’re celebrating the day with a significant other or bonding over lack of love with a group of friends, I can almost guarantee that some part of your day will involve chocolate, and lots of it.

This year my Valentine’s gift to you is an easy, no-frills treat that can be prepared in a kitchen as simple as your dorm room. All you need is a microwave and a refrigerator, so a dorm micro-fridge will do the trick. My recipe for chocolate-covered strawberries will be the key to your hearts this year.

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 35 Minutes

Easy

Servings: 16 strawberries

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

½ bag chocolate chips or 4 oz. bar chopped into small pieces (dark chocolate is my personal favorite, but any variety will work)
16 strawberries

1. Wash and refrigerate strawberries in preparation for dipping.

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

2. Add chocolate to a microwave safe bowl. Put the bowl in the microwave in 30 second intervals to avoid burning the chocolate. After every 30 seconds stir the chocolate.

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

3. When you have done it 3 times, it should be ready. Stir until there are no chocolate chunks left in the bowl

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

4. Place a piece of wax paper on a flat surface or baking sheet.

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

5. Take the strawberries by their stems and dip into melted chocolate. Make sure to coat the strawberries evenly on both sides.

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

6. Place the dipped strawberries on the wax paper and let them sit for 10-15 minutes.

7. Place the tray of strawberries in the refrigerator to ensure the chocolate is hardened.

chocolate

Photo by Morgan Goldberg

After these simple steps, the chocolate-covered strawberries are yours or your significant other’s to enjoy. To elevate the look of the strawberries, you can dip them a second time to make a thicker layer of chocolate, garnish them with sprinkles or even melt white chocolate to drizzle on top. This simple recipe is too delicious not to make, and it may even score you a Valentine.