There’s something about the Olympics that gets me super excited: the anticipation, the competition, the joy, the exotic places you’ve never heard of in the Parade of Nations. And then those small glimpses into the lives of athletes who have dedicated years to get there. No matter politics or venue, you will always witness something great.

In honor of the games this week, I’ll be making healthy(ish) bakes, as well as some international treats. For the Games’ Opening Ceremony tonight, I baked donuts. ‘Cause what else looks like rings, amirite? Because these are baked, instead of fried, and topped with fresh fruit that means they’re healthy, right?

I wanted to give them unusual flavors, so I made two different bases and went nuts with all natural toppings. The sweet lemony donuts are topped with a simple icing and fresh strawberries…

Lemon Ice Donuts

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 2 cup flour
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/4 cup whole milk
  • 2 tablespoon melted butter
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • blueberries and strawberries for decorating
  • 2 cup icing sugar
  • 3 tablespoon water
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Photo by Haley Herrinton

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 4-inch donut pan evenly with baking spray.

Whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl.

In a separate bowl, lightly whisk the egg, whole milk, butter and vanilla extract until well combined.

Combine the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just mixed. Try not to over beat.

Spoon your batter carefully into the donut molds, until 3/4 full. Make sure to wipe any spilled batter off the tin to avoid burning in the oven.

Bake for 17 minutes, until the donuts have risen and are a golden brown on top. If they are struggling to color, place on a higher rack and switch the oven to the convection setting.

Allow to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.

To make the icing, combine the sugar and lemon juice, then slowly add the water a tablespoon at a time while stirring. Mix well, until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Dip the cooled donuts gently into the icing, and spread/tidy up wtih a wetted spatula or spoon. Allow to set for 30 seconds, before adding fresh fruit to the top. Enjoy.

Photo by Haley Herrinton

Parmesan Pepper Douts

• Prep Time:20 minutes
  • Cook Time:20 minutes
  • Total Time:40 minutes

• 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 4 tablespoon melted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 1/4 cup cream cheese
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 bag classic potato chips
  • 2 tablespoon black sesame seeds
Photo by Haley Herrinton

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

In a separate bowl, whisk the milk, butter, and egg until completely blended.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry, then add the cheese and mix until just combined.

Grease a donut pan and add the mixture into the molds, till 3/4 full. Bake 15-20 minutes until golden brown.

Allow to cool completely, before spreading with cream cheese.

Photo by Haley Herrinton

Sprinkle or dip toppings as you please.

Photo by Haley Herrinton