Growing up, I watched a lot of cartoons. Perhaps, the most puzzling one for me was the Looney Tunes. How could Wile E. Coyote survive those tremendous falls? Was Tweety Bird a boy or a girl? But most importantly, why on earth was Bugs Bunny so obsessed with carrots? I think I’ve finally figured it out. Don’t believe me? Try this carrot soup recipe for yourself. It’s so easy even Bugs could make it.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
12 young carrots (or 8 medium sized carrots)
½ clove garlic
3 cups milk or milk substitute
2 cups water
Salt and pepper to taste
Splash of olive oil
1. Wash, peel and cut carrots into ½ inch slices.
2. In a large pan, pour a splash (about a tablespoon) of olive oil into a pan, enough to coat the bottom. Add garlic and cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
Tip: Add a small chunk of butter for more flavor.
3. Add carrots and sauté in oil for about 10 minutes or until tender. Mix with a large spoon to keep from sticking or burning.
4. Put cooked carrots and garlic into blender. Add 2 cups of milk and 1 cup of water. Add more or less liquid to reach a smooth purée consistency.
5. Pour the carrot purée back into the pan. Add 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of water. Add more or less liquid depending on how thick or thin you like your soup.
6. Add salt and pepper to taste and place on medium heat until warmed all the way through. Serve hot.
Enjoy the taste and the fact that it was so easy a bunny (or a cat) could’ve made it.