Pumpkin always gets all the attention during fall, but let's not forget about the apple. This fall fruit has been around since day one and deserves a little more credit.

The best part about these caramel apples is that you can customize them however you want — dress 'em up or keep them simple. The sky (or the grocery store) is the limit. I turned to the candy aisle for my topping inspiration, and it didn't disappoint. Here's how you can feel (slightly) more grown up without completely giving up your Halloween candy.

Caramel Apples

• 5 apples
  • 11-oz package soft caramels
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 package mini chocolate chips
  • 1 package peanut butter chips
  • 1 package shredded coconut
  • 8 crushed graham crackers
  • Rainbow sprinkles
chocolate, caramel, cream, cake, candy
Natalie Chuang

Wash and dry apples. I recommend using tart apples to balance the sweetness of the caramel.

apple, pasture, juice, sweet, vegetable
    Natalie Chuang

Unwrap individual caramels and melt in a saucepan on medium-low heat with two tablespoons of water, stirring constantly to avoid burning.

sweet, candy, honey
    Natalie Chuang

Once the caramel is smooth, reduce heat to low. Keep stirring occasionally.

cream, milk, dairy product, sweet, pudding, egg, coffee
    Natalie Chuang

Place all desired toppings in bowls. The more, the merrier!

cereal, coffee
    Natalie Chuang

Dip apples into caramel and roll in toppings. Allow apples to cool in the fridge. Enjoy!

caramel, chocolate, cake
    Natalie Chuang

The best part about these caramel apples is that you can customize them however you want — dress 'em up or keep them simple. The sky (or the grocery store) is the limit. I turned to the candy aisle for my topping inspiration, and it didn't disappoint. Here's how you can feel (slightly) more grown up without completely giving up your Halloween candy.