Imagine a meal that is readily microwavable, easy to make, and is inexpensive. Would it be too overwhelming if I also told you that this meal is healthy too? This butternut squash soup is a warm combination of all that goodness, and can even be modified to make your taste buds happy.

Butternut Squash Soup

• Cook Time:3 hrs
  • Total Time:3 hrs 20 mins

• 8 cups butternut squash
  • 1 cup light cream
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
soup, vegetable
Marissa Duncan

Cut the two squash into cubed pieces. It's best to peel it first, but since I can't find my peeler, I cut the skin off after the squash is cut into cubes.
    If you're unsure about how to cut a Butternut Squash:
    1. Cut both of the ends off
    2. Cut in half lengthwise
    3. Scoop out the seeds
    4. Cut into cubes

pumpkin, sweet
    Marissa Duncan

Place the cubes in a crockpot with one cup of water. Cook the cubes for 4 hours on high, or until they are soft. If you don't have a crockpot, you can boil the cubes until they are soft.

coffee, beer
    Marissa Duncan

Once the squash is cooked, place it all in a bowl and blend. I use a blender that is made to puree soup. If you don't have one of these, get creative. A magic bullet works just fine.

melon
    Marissa Duncan

Add the one cup of milk, and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon—and keep blending.

sauce
    Marissa Duncan

Grab a bowl, pour the creamy mixture, and let it warm your soul.

soup, vegetable
    Marissa Duncan

This soup is great for those days where I didn't have enough time to make a full meal, and needed something quick to grab. If you find that it tastes too squash-y, add ingredients that you think will make it more up your alley. Try coconut milk instead of light cream. Add ginger or garlic. I add salt to boost its flavor. If you like something a little sweeter, try adding brown sugar. This is the perfect recipe to modify and get creative with.