What’s more comforting than a warm bowl of pasta on a dreary Evanston night? With just a few ingredients, you can make a healthy pasta dish that combines the sweet, nutty flavor of butternut squash with the savory taste of chicken.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
3 cups penne pasta
1 medium-sized butternut squash, cut into 1 inch cubes
1 garlic clove
1 cup chicken stock
¾ cup heavy cream
1 teaspoon olive oil
1. Fill a medium size pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Add a pinch of salt to the water.
2. Once boiling, add the pasta, stir, and cover until the pasta is al dente (after about 10 minutes).
3. Strain the pasta and set aside.
4. While pasta cooks, mix the oil, garlic and squash in a hot pan. Sauté for 10 minutes until the squash is slightly tender.
5. Add the chicken stock to the pan, and let the squash simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
6. Poke the squash with a fork to check if it’s completely tender. When it is, add cream and stir.
7. Add the pasta to the squash mixture and cook for another 2 minutes.