The Buddha Bowl is called a variety of things including a yogi bowl, a rainbow bowl, or a hippie bowl. But don't worry, you don't need to be a zen AF hippie to consume one of these bad boys.
The name Buddha Bowl actually refers to the mounds of food filling your bowl that create a "big belly" look! And this big healthy food bowl should be your new go-to meal.
This magical bowl can be anything you want it to be. Throw in everything and anything you have lying around and you have a meal. Every recipe is completely adaptable and you should go with the flow of what you're feeling.
Although it can be anything you want, here are a couple tips to make the ultimate go-to bowl.
1. Make sure you have a grain as the base. You can go for rice, quinoa, couscous, pearl barley, bulgur—you name it.
2. Top your grain with vegetables. My favourite is to chop everything up (whatever I have left in my fridge) and throw it in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Add your protein (or not). I like falafel balls the best but you can add chicken, beans, and anything else that suits your fancy.
4. If you want, add a dip. Say, hummus for example, and place it on top.
5. Finally, dig in!
My Favorite Buddha Bowl
- Prep Time:15 mins
- Cook Time:30 mins
- Total Time:45 mins
- 1 cup pearl barley or any grain
- 4 sweet potato
- 4 peppers red yellow and/or orange
- 2 cup kale or spinach
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoon tahini
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 tablespoon olive oil