As the snow piles on, I crave something warm for dinner. I imagine myself snuggled up on the couch, wrapped in a big blanket, holding a large steaming bowl of soup. I could go to Panera or the new Au Bon Pain on campus for a cup of broccoli cheddar soup, but with prices at $6-7 per bowl, I’d rather make my own at home. Yes, homemade soup sounds daunting, but this recipe shows you how you can do it for only $1.55 per serving with only 5 simple ingredients.

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes

3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups broccoli florets, chopped
2 cups shredded cheese (works best if you shred a block yourself)
1 medium onion, chopped
1 15-oz can evaporated milk or coconut milk

Parisa Soraya - Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Photo by Parisa Soraya

1. In a large pot, heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil or butter over medium heat. Once melted, add in onions and sauté until translucent (about 5 minutes).
2. Add in the milk, broth, cheese and broccoli florets. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, not a boil. (Boiling can cause the cheese to curdle). Season soup with salt and pepper. Reduce to medium low and cover, letting the soup simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Parisa Soraya - Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Photo by Parisa Soraya

4. You can either serve as is, or blend it if you want a creamier soup. If blending, wait for the soup to cool a bit before putting it in a blender, or use a hand blender and blend it in the pot.

Parisa Soraya - Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Photo by Parisa Soraya

5. Serve warm. The soup can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Parisa Soraya - Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Photo by Parisa Soraya