The whole idea of s’moresbonfires, golden-brown roasts, setting marshmallows aflame, and sticky graham-crackery yumminess—just screams summer. Yet here we are, still stuck at school…loaded up with tests, p-sets, and papers, craving a slice of summertime.

So here is a recipe with the convenience and late-night-sugar-rush of a microwaveable mug cake and the comforting flavors of campfire s’mores. It’s some gooey summertime goodness to tide you over until you can make the real thing.

Easy

Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute and 10 seconds
Total Time: 9 minutes and 10 seconds

Servings: 1

1 teaspoon butter
½ graham cracker sheet
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons oil
2 ½ tablespoons white sugar
2 ½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
3 tablespoons flour
A little less than ¼ teaspoon baking powder
Part of a milk chocolate bar, broken into small chunks
1-3 large marshmallows

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

1. Melt butter in a glass bowl. Crumble graham cracker sheet and mix in to melted butter. Set aside.

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

2. Mix wet ingredients in a microwaveable mug, then add the dry ingredients and mix together.

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

3. Fold in chocolate chunks.

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

4. Make an indentation in the middle of the batter and press the graham cracker mixture into the sides of the indentation.

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

5. Put a whole marshmallow into the center of the spot you’ve created. Push it down—the marshmallow will expand as it is heated. Then sprinkle chocolate chunks and graham cracker crumbs to top it off!

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

7. Microwave for 40 seconds. Cut/tear remaining marshmallow(s) into smaller pieces and push into the  top of the cake.

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

8. Microwave an additional 30 seconds. Let sit in the microwave to cool a bit, then study snack away.

s'mores

Photo by Lila Thulin

Modifications to try:

If you’re feeling fancy, layer the cake to get more marshmallow in each bite. Make the batter in a separate container, press some graham cracker crumb mix into the bottom of the mug, layer some marshmallow pieces on top, then add a bit of batter, and repeat.

To make your mug cake a little healthier and take some of the guilt from the “guilty pleasure,” you can make this recipe with whole wheat flour and substitute unsweetened applesauce for half (or all) of the oil.

Want s’more s’mores?