You know what they say, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. At least, it was until I came to college. Over the summer, I couldn't help but dread living in a small dorm room with a mini fridge and a microwave to call my "kitchen." I knew my morning meal would be the one getting sacrificed, but then I realized that a mini fridge and a microwave are all I need to make a healthy and filling breakfast. I came up with three staples that have been breakfast life-savers these past weeks. Not only do they taste great and take very little time to make, but they are actually (unintentionally) healthy.

The first recipe is an obvious microwave breakfast choice, regardless of whether you live in a college dorm room Oatmeal has been my go-to breakfast since it's easy to make, tastes great, and is a good source of fiber. I add walnuts, almonds, and sliced banana to add texture and substance.

Another option is an omelet. Yes, an omelet can be made in the microwave and it's even easier than making one the traditional way. This is a great breakfast for anyone who likes something savory in the morning. I add chopped spinach, mushrooms, and cheddar cheese before popping it in the microwave.

The last recipe is one that I discovered a few days into my new, kitchen-less life. The holy grail: microwaveable granola. This recipe is not only fast and easy, but it fills your room with the smell of warm cinnamon, and it is actually full of good-for-you ingredients. Pair it with some fruit, yogurt, or milk, and you've got a balanced breakfast to start your day.

Oatmeal

• 1/2 cup microwaveable oats
  • 1 cup water or milk
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 1 tablespoon chopped nuts seeds and fruit
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey

Add 1/2 cup of oats to a microwave-safe bowl.

cereal, porridge, corn, wheat, oatmeal, rice
    Holly Rule

Add 1 cup of water or milk, a pinch of salt, and stir.

milk, porridge, cereal, sweet, cream
    Holly Rule

Microwave oats for 1.5-2 minutes and allow to cool. Top with nuts, seeds, and fruit of your choice. Drizzle with honey or maple syrup, and enjoy!

cereal, milk, muesli, sweet
    Holly Rule

Microwave Omelet

• 2 eggs
  • salt
  • pepper
  • spinach
  • cheddar cheese

Add eggs to a microwave-safe bowl or mug and stir until the egg whites and egg yolks become one mixture (the longer you stir, the fluffier your omelet).

tea, coffee, milk, espresso, cream
    Holly Rule

Add a pinch of salt and pepper and your favorite mix-ins (I chose spinach and cheddar cheese).

soup, tea, broth
    Holly Rule

Microwave for 2-3 minutes until the eggs are set and cooked through. Allow to cool, top with extra cheese, and enjoy!

soup, vegetable, herb
    Holly Rule

Microwave Granola

• 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
  • 2 teaspoons oil your choice
  • 2 teaspoons water
  • Pinch salt
  • 1/3 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon seeds and nuts your choice
  • 1 tablespoon dried and fresh fruit

Add all of the ingredients besides the dried fruit to a microwave-safe bowl or mug.

tea, cereal, granola
    Holly Rule

Stir until everything is combined.

cereal, milk, muesli, corn, granola, oatmeal, wheat, porridge, rice
    Holly Rule

Microwave for 1.5-2 minutes, and stir again to re-combine ingredients. Microwave again for about 1.5-2 minutes until oats are golden brown. Make sure to check every 30 seconds to make sure the mixture does not burn. Allow to cool and top with assorted dried and fresh fruit.

cereal, granola, corn, muesli, porridge, wheat, buckwheat, oatmeal
    Holly Rule