“Hangovers aren’t that bad,” claims someone who has never had a real hangover. Typical signs of this ordeal include lying helplessly in bed, cursing that final drink and begging your roommates to bring you water. Making wise meal choices the morning after a night of boozing can truly make or break you. To alleviate the pounding headache and queasy stomach, here are three simply delicious breakfast options to eat as well as a list of foods to avoid.
Nutty Banana Oatmeal
A hot bowl of oatmeal warms the body and soothes the stomach. This hearty meal not only neutralizes the sick toxins from those vodka sours and fireballs, but can also boost your energy to a whole new level.
½ cup oats
1 cup water
1 tablespoon flax seed
1 medium banana
1 tablespoon peanut butter
1 teaspoon walnuts
1. Bring water to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer.
3. Add oats and let cook for 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Remove from heat and cool for 2 minutes.
5. Add sliced bananas, flax seed, peanut butter and walnuts.
If made with the correct ingredients, the breakfast taco is a perfect morning-after meal that won’t upset a sensitive stomach. Eggs wrapped in a warm tortilla is a simple, healthy option to turn your morning around.
1 whole grain tortilla
¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese
Optional: salt & pepper
1. Crack eggs in a bowl and whisk with a fork for 30 seconds.
2. Add oil to a small pan and set the burner on medium heat.
3. Add eggs and move mixture around with spatula till eggs are cooked.
4. Add cooked eggs to tortilla. Top with cheese and heat in microwave for 30 seconds.
5. Sprinkle with taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Add salsa.
Very Berry Detox Smoothie
Have the upset stomach and headache kicked in yet? This may be your body screaming for a detox. Nothing says detox quite like a handful of spinach. It sounds unappetizing, but do not be alarmed. Spinach gives this nourishing smoothie all the vitamins and minerals your body needs without sacrificing the flavor. Simply blend together these ingredients.
2-3 cups spinach
1 cup almond milk
¼ cup blueberries
¼ cups blackberries
3 ice cubes
1. Put all ingredients in blender.
2. Blend for 30 seconds.
3. Serve and enjoy.
All the above meals can cure your killer hangover, but beware of “red flag” choices. Sugary and greasy foods are culprits that can only make your post-party symptoms worse, and caffeinated drinks will dehydrate your body even further. Give thanks to your body for a good night by dodging these foods:
Tip: Don’t believe what you hear. More alcohol will not cure anything.