Cupcakes are some of my favorite things to bake. This recipe is a fun twist on the traditional Boston Cream Pie: a simple yellow cake with a cream filling and chocolate glaze.  It looks complicated but with a little time and patience, it’s a piece of cake (ha!). If you can make a cake you can make this easy recipe!

cupcakes_final

Advanced Course

Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 60 minutes

Servings: 12

Cream Filling Ingredients: 
1 1/3 cups whipping cream
3 egg yolks
1/3 cup granulated sugar
A dash of salt
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Simmer whipping cream in a saucepan, stirring occasionally.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the yolks, sugar and salt and stir with a fork.

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary

3. Once the mixture is creamy, add the flour and continue stirring until thick and smooth.

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary

4. Once the cream is simmering, pour it into the egg mixture. Stir with a spoon until combined.
5. Pour the mixture into the saucepan and continue stirring until the mixture thickens, 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the butter and vanilla, stirring until the butter is melted.
7. Transfer the cream filling into a small bowl and cover with plastic wrap or foil. Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days.

Homemade Cupcake Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in 12 pieces
3 eggs
3/4 cups 2% milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a cupcake pan with liners and set aside.
2. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the butter one piece at a time, using your hands to mix it with the flour until it makes a crumbly mixture.
4. Add eggs and mix with an electric hand mixer until combined.
5. Add the milk and vanilla and beat until smooth.
6. Fill the cupcake cups 3/4 of the way full with batter and bake for 18-20 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a fork into the middle of a cupcake. It will come out clean when done. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing.

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary

Chocolate Glaze Ingredients: 
3/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon water
8 oz dark chocolate
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1. Combine ingredients in a saucepan and stir over medium heat until smooth. Set aside for 30 minutes.

Putting it all together!

With a sharp knife cut into the top of the cupcake at a 45° angle. Cut in a circle so that you can remove a cone-shape of cake. Fill the hole with cream filling and cover with the chocolate glaze. Let glaze harden for 10 minutes and enjoy!

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary

Boston Cream Pie

Photo by Sarah O’Leary