One thing that I always look forward to when I go home is the fresh blueberry cake made from my grandmother’s family recipe. Each time I have it I’m reminded of lazy Sunday afternoons, when I would sit down with a slice of cake, a cup of milk and a great book. It is a fairly straightforward recipe and can be used with either fresh or thawed frozen blueberries, which helps to incorporate more fruit into our lives during these cold winter months.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
¼ cup butter, softened
1 egg, well beaten
¾ cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup milk
1 1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup blueberries, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Mix the softened butter with the egg and ¾ cup sugar until the mixture has a uniform consistency.
3. Add the vanilla extract and milk, beat well.
4. Slowly add 1 1/3 cup flour and baking powder, beating thoroughly.
5. Fold half of the blueberries into the batter.
6. Add the batter into a greased 9×9 pan.
7. Coat the remaining blueberries with the 2 tablespoons of flour, then layer on top of the batter in the pan.
8. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar and apply in a thin layer over the cake.
9. Bake for approximately 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
10. Allow to cool slightly, and enjoy.