When it comes to nuts, almonds are the best at satisfying all the senses. They have a bold flavor, like peanuts, they’re large in size, like pecans, and they have a satisfying crunch, like walnuts. As if they weren’t delicious enough raw, almonds have a huge array of products and applications.
An ingredient so delicious and versatile deserves some love and attention. So, on February 16th, celebrate National Almond Day with this almond-inspired rainbow cookie recipe that will be sure to remind you how much you adore this beautiful, tear-shaped nugget of flavor.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Cooling Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Servings: About 50 pieces
1 ½ cups unsalted butter, softened (3 sticks)
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 12.5-oz. can almond pastry filling
Blue food coloring
Red food coloring
1 12-oz. jar seedless raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Butter and flour three 9×13 baking pans (or just use one sheet three times).
3. Beat butter and sugar together with a hand mixer on high until light yellow.
4. Mix in pastry filling until smooth.
5. Add one egg in at a time, and mix until incorporated.
6. Stir in flour until combined; be careful not to over-mix.
7. Divide the batter into three separate bowls. Add red food coloring to one, blue food coloring to the second and both to the third.
8. Pour batters into baking pans using a spatula to smooth it out. If it is difficult to spread, put it in the oven to soften the batter.
9. Bake for 10 minutes.
10. Place cakes on a wire rack to let them cool.
11. Heat the jam in a saucepan on medium heat while stirring.
12. Let it cool slightly.
13. Place the red cake on a baking sheet and pour half of the raspberry jam over the cake, spreading with a spatula.
14. Place the blue cake on top and spread the remaining jam.
15. Top with the purple cake and let it cool for about an hour for the jam to set.
16. Cut the edges of the cake to make it into a uniform block.
17. On a cutting board, cut the cake into 1 ½ inch wide strips.
18. Separate the strips and slice them into 1/2 inch wide cookies.
So here’s to you, almonds. On this special day, you’re number one in the kitchen and number one in our hearts. Whether candied, sliced, roasted or spiced, you make the perfect addition to any dish.