Welcome to Spoon University at Berkeley’s very own baking corner! This is where science meets sweet as we create delicious baked delicacies that are simple to make and satisfying to the taste. This first post is a fun crowd pleaser: minion cupcakes! However, here the focus is on the decorations, which double as yummy toppings. The assembly requires some concentration and creativity, but this will ensure that each minion comes out with a unique personality.
Prep time: 30 minutes (box mix and canned frosting) or 50 minutes (homemade)
Assembly time: 20 minutes
Total time: 50-70 minutes
Servings: 12 minion cupcakes plus around 8 plain ones
12 cupcakes, preferably yellow (you can bake your own, as I did using this recipe in a previous post–or you can use a box mix…I won’t judge)
White frosting (I used this recipe, although I had plenty left over)
Black decorating icing (not the gel kind; you will need very little)
Piping bag (they sell 12 at Berkeley’s Daiso for $1.50, or you can use a plastic sandwich bag)
1. Cut each Twinkie in half or in a 1/3-2/3 ratio for the bodies. Be sure that the cut is straight…unless you want some tipsy looking minions. Lay them flat on your counter, a plate or cutting board for easy cleanup.
2. Select 12 white Smarties–these will be the eyes. You can use other colors too for some mutated minions.
3. Put some icing into the piping/sandwich bag and trim the corner to make a small opening. Twist the top ends to keep the contents from spilling.
4. Put a little frosting on the back of each Smartie and stick it on the Twinkie to make two eyes that are touching or a single eye.
5. Take your icing and dab one dot on each Smartie for the eye pupils, trace around them (these will be the goggles), and then draw the mouth. Get creative! Make them ecstatic, grumpy, curious, cross-eyed, tired or whatever best describes your life.
6. Draw out a line on each side of the head for the goggle straps. Don’t forget to add hair!
7. Pick up the bodies carefully and gently press them on top of the frosted cupcakes. You have now successfully created a family of minions. But don’t get too attached….they taste even better than they look!
So delicious, even they can’t resist a bite…